Worker Pilot Programs

daniel thomas r8ARXPhBex8 unsplash scaled

Are the Home Child-Care Provider or Home Support Worker Pilot Programs Right for you?

Are you a qualified child care or home support worker? Are you a great candidate for immigrating as a caregiver but lack the Canadian work experience required? You may still be eligible thanks to the Home Child-Care Provider and Home Support Worker Pilot programs!

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada have launched a pilot program for foreign national caregivers. These pilot programs were launched in June 2019. Most other immigration pathways for caregivers have stopped accepting new applications around this time. These new programs open the door for more caregivers to enter Canada through the processing structure. The unique processing arrangements allow caregivers who lack the work experience to still qualify.


Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada launched the Home Child-Care Provider and Home Support Worker pilot programs in 2019. These programs were designed to replace the Live-in Caregiver Program, Caring for Children Pilot and the Caring for People with High Medical Needs Programs. It also replaces the caregiver pathway under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.

These programs are under the Economic stream of immigration and all applicants must prove and agree they can financially provide for themselves and any family members who immigrate with them.

Current Update!

According to Ministerial Instructions, the Home Child Care Provider Pilot need only process 2,750. As of June 2021, IRCC has received more than this amount for the Child-Care pilot. This pilot is now closed to new applicants for this year (2021). The program plans to re-open and accept new applications in January of 2022.

Since the COVID-19 pandemic, a temporary residence pathway to Permanent Residence has been opened for essential workers only. Qualifying caregivers can apply for this new stream.

The Home Support Worker Pilot is still accepting applications.

Impacts of Covid-19

The coronavirus pandemic has affected the processing of most immigrating applications to Canada. IRCC is still processing applications however most applications will be delayed. Applicants should expect the application processing time estimator tool on the Government of Canada website to greatly underestimate the amount of time it will take to receive a response.

The visa offices are also not processing applications as they are submitted. They are prioritizing applications to be processed first. If you do not belong to one of these groups, your application will be delayed indefinitely.

COVID-19 Priority Applicants

  • Canadians and PRs returning to Canada
  • Vulnerable Groups
  • Work Permits for Essential Workers (e.g., Healthcare workers, first responders)

Application process

Applicants to the pilot programs will be measured against the selection criteria. Applicants must appear to the processing officer to have the means to establish themselves in Canada financially. This will include language test scores and education. This pilot program is interesting in that a lack of work experience does not negatively impact  foreign nationals’ applications. Individuals without work experience in Canada can apply!

Applicants to the program will be reviewed as either an applicant with 24 months of eligible work experience in Canada or less than 24 months of eligible work experience in Canada. Those with less experience than required but who meet the other requirements will have their Permanent Residence application paused and will be issued a work permit. This gives the foreign nationals time to enter and work in Canada according to the terms of the permit. If an applicant acquires enough qualifying work experience before the term of their work permit, their Permanent Residence application process will resume and will include their new work experience obtained in Canada.


Any foreign national being reviewed for PR under the Home Child-Care Provider and Home Support Worker Pilot Programs must first and foremost be admissible to Canada. If an applicant is not admissible to Canada for any reason including security reasons, committing crimes, medical reasons, etc. the application can be rejected.

Applicants who are admissible to Canada will have their education, language proficiency, and work experience reviewed. The program has identical requirements for all applicants in the areas of education and language proficiency. The work experience the applicant has is separated into one of two categories, those with over 24 months of relevant work experience in Canada, and those with less.

General Eligibility

Education Requirements

To meet the education requirements for the Home Child-Care Provider and Home Support Pilot programs, applicants must show a Canadian education credential earned for a program of at least one year. The credential must be for post-secondary education, which is an education level that comes after high school e.g., college, university, etc.

Applicants with an educational credential obtained abroad who believe it to be equal to a Canadian post-secondary program of at least a one-year can qualify by providing both their foreign educational credential as well as an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA). The ECA is vital to validate all foreign educational credentials and can be no older than 5 years at the time of applying. The ECA must be from an organization approved by IRCC. The results of the ECA must show that the foreign certificate is equal to the required Canadian minimum.

Educational Credentials

  • At least a one-year Canadian post-secondary credential


  • A foreign credential with an ECA that is equivalent to a Canadian post-secondary credential of at least one year.

Language Requirements

All foreign nationals must demonstrate some English or French abilities to be approved for immigration. Applicants can prove this by providing a test taken by a designated testing site. Applicants will be tested on their abilities in reading, writing, speaking, and listening to either English or French.

Note: The testing site must be approved by IRCC. Review qualifying testing agencies before taking the test.

Required Work Experience

Applicants applying to the Home Child-Care Provider and Home Support Pilot Programs seeking Permanent Residence must have a minimum of 24 months of relevant work experience in Canada to be considered. Those who lack the necessary experience but have all the other necessary criteria may still be eligible.

IRCC divides applications to these pilot programs into 2 groups, applicants with less than 24 months of relevant work experience and applicants with more. Regardless of the applicants’ category, the experience must be full-time and qualify under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) jobs for your occupation.

Home Child-Care Provider (NOC 4411)

  • Caring for children under the age of 18
    • Can be in your home or your employer’s home
  • Experience as a foster parent doesn’t count

Home Support Worker (NOC 4412)

  • Caring for someone in need of a home support worker
  • Housekeeping does not count

Note: An applicant can only apply under one of the above categories, experience in both occupations cannot be combined for the purposes of this application. It must be specified on the application which program the applicant is applying for.

If you have experience as both a home support worker and as a child care provider, you must choose one for your qualifying work experience. You cannot use both for the purposes of this application.

Applicants with More than 24 Months Experience

Applicants with more than 24 months of relevant work experience in Canada can directly apply for Permanent Residence in Canada through these pilot programs. The proof they provide for meeting each of the selection criteria will be assessed. Their admissibility to Canada will also be assessed.

Applicants who are already in Canada will be asked to do a short interview either by an appointment at an immigration office or by going to a Canadian port of entry. All documents will be reviewed for authenticity in this interview. Applicants outside of Canada will have said documents reviewed by border patrol when entering Canada.

Applicants with Less than 24 months of Experience

Applicants who are otherwise qualified for these pilot programs but lack the necessary amount of Canadian work experience need not fear being rejected. This includes applicants with no Canadian work experience at all. These pilots allow qualifying individuals to enter Canada on a temporary basis to obtain the experience they would need in Canada so that they can later apply for PR status.

All applicants approved for this category would need to submit a work permit application with the permanent residence application while indicating which pilot program they are applying for. If the applicant meets requirements, they will be given an open-work permit that is occupation-restricted. Applicants can change employers with this work permit but cannot work in any other occupation that the one their work permit is issued for. In other words, the applicant will be able to legally work either as a home child care provider or a home support worker, whichever one is indicated on the work permit.

If the applicant is approved their Permanent Residence application will be paused and their work permit will be issued until they can obtain the necessary 24 months of work experience in Canada. Once they achieve this, foreign nationals can send proof to IRCC that they obtained the necessary experience in their approved occupation, this will cause the PR application to resume.

Note: For assistance in navigating the specific requirements for your case refer to the Government of Canada website or contact Cohen Brosh Law Offices.

Documents and Forms

All applications upon being received by the processing center in Edmonton will be reviewed for completeness. It is the IRCC’s practice to return incomplete applications in this case along with any fees paid. Applicants should always ensure they are submitting a complete application to save processing time.

Note: Contact Cohen Brosh Law Offices for application assistance to ensure you are submitting the best application possible.

General Application Requirements:

  • Generic Application Form for Canada – IMM 0008
  • Language Proficiency Test
  • Educational Credentials
  • Educational Credential Assessment, if applicable
  • Background/ Declaration – IMM 5669, if applicable
    • Required for any spouse, common-law partner and dependent children over 18 listed on the IMM 0008
  • Home Child-care provider and home support worker form
  • Your Travels form – IMM 5562
  • Offer of Employment IMM 5983
    • Only required for applicants with less than 24 months experience
  • Biometrics
  • Fees

Applicants with less than 24 months of qualifying work experience must provide:

  • Offer of Employment form
  • Application for work permit make Outside of Canada – IMM 1295
    • Or an Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker – IMM 5710

Note: In addition to the above, applicants with more than 24 months of work experience must also provide proof of this experience.

Application Fees

The required fees for both the Home Child-Care Provider and Home Support Worker Pilots are the same. Applicants will be required to pay caregiver PR fees as well as separately paying for work permit fees.

Review the required Caregiver application fees in the table below taken from the Government of Canada website


PR FeesCAN $

Your Application

Processing fee and Right of Permanent Residence fee


Your Application

without Right of Permanent Residence Fee


Include your spouse or partner

Processing fee and Right of Permanent Residence fee


Include your spouse or partner

Processing fee and right of permanent residence fee

Include a dependent child150 (per child)

The right of permanent residence fee is only required once an applicant is approved for Permanent Residence. The Government of Canada website does however recommend paying that fee up front to avoid later delays.

Work Permit Fees

Applicants will also need to pay fees for the work permits. The amount of these fees varies depending on the location of the applicant. Proof of payment of both the Caregiver application fees and the work permit fees must be submitted with each application.

The below table, taken from the Government of Canada website lists the work permit fees required for applicants from Israel.

Work Permit (including extensions)155
Open Work Permit holder100


If you are a trained child care provider or caregiver, the Home Child-Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot is an extremely flexible program that can help ease you into the Canadian work force. This program allows foreign nationals without enough Canadian work experience the chance to gain the work experience they need in Canada. This can greatly improve the chances of later qualifying for Permanent Residence.

For more information on this pilot program and how it can benefit you, contact Cohen Brosh Law Offices.

Picture of עורך דין אלכס ברוש

עורך דין אלכס ברוש

Skip to content