J-1 Visa Program Sponsorship

For those who want to host J-1 visa holders, there is a designated process established by the US State Department. The process is open to private sector businesses in addition to public sector affiliates. This article, by our law office, will explain the basics of the J-1 program and how you can apply to be able to host J-1 visa holders. Our law office is located in Tel Aviv, and specializes in immigration to the US.

What is the J-1 visa?

According to the US Department of State, the J-1 visa is an “exchange visitor program” designed for “individuals approved to participate in work-and study-based exchange visitor programs.” The goal of the J-1 visa is to promote cultural exchange between the United States and foreign countries. Examples of the categories open to the J-1 visa include research scholars, interns, trainees, students, and more.

What is the role of the program sponsor?

In order to apply for a J-1 visa, applicants must present the Form DS-2019 at their designated US Embassy or Consulate. The DS-2019 can only be issued by entities, such as businesses, universities, and other programs, designated by the State Department as being able to host J-1 visa holders. These sponsors are eligible to host a certain number of foreign nationals (as allotted to them by the State Department).

How do I become a program sponsor?

Program sponsors must meet certain prerequisites, such as meeting financial requirements and having demonstrated previous experience in international exchanges. The proposed sponsor must also designate a Responsible Officer (RO) and sometimes one or more Alternate Responsible Officers (ARO). These officers must be US citizens or lawful permanent residents. In order to demonstrate expertise in the field of international exchanges, either the RO or the organization itself must show at least three years of experience in international exchange. The sponsor must also be able to demonstrate the capability to provide health insurance, travel arrangements, and other related costs to the exchange program. If you meet these requirements, we will help you file the necessary forms and pay the required fees to the State Department in order to apply for sponsor designation.

Contuct us

Contact our law firm in Tel Aviv specializing in immigration issues to the United States, if you are interested in sponsoring a J-1 visa, or to work in the USA.

Picture of עורך דין אלכס ברוש

עורך דין אלכס ברוש

Skip to content